All episodes of Chat With Traders x Quantopian mini-series are available here.
When one has a price model that they think will work well for forecasting returns, the next step is to actually trade it. This isn’t that simple for a variety of reasons. For one thing, you need to define how much risk you’re okay with taking on in a portfolio, and then try to maximize your returns while staying within those boundaries. This is the foundation of modern portfolio theory—we’ll discuss some real life issues with this.
Sponsored by DataCamp:
- Wanna learn how to code? Then you best visit DataCamp.com. They’ve got a full suite of data science courses that’ll give you the skill-sets necessary of a quant.
Topics of discussion:
- The need to spread capital beyond a single asset and the notion of optimization.
- Optimizing for maximum returns within your portfolio constraints.
- Implicit assumptions that can creep in during portfolio optimization.
- How an example strategy, trading gun manufacturers, could be optimized.
Links and resources mentioned:
How to support this podcast:
- For a quick and easy way to support this free podcast, please write an honest review in iTunes. It’ll take you two minutes, and it helps massively—thank you.