Digital marketing is a kind of marketing that involves the use of different electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, and so on. It also includes the use of software, applications, and technology platforms such as email, the internet, social media, and so on. We may quickly get lost in the enormous realm of digital marketing.
Because of technological advancements and changes, it may be difficult to stay up with all of the newest trends and strategies embraced by digital marketing. Visual marketing, mobile marketing, and numerous internet marketing approaches are all part of digital marketing strategies, which may be quite complicated and intimidating.
In the realm of digital marketing, we must not only know what to do but also what not to do. Below is a list of 10 don’ts to perhaps assist you to navigate the vast world of digital marketing.
- 1. Giving Up on Mobile Marketing – The number of individuals who use mobile devices to access the internet is rapidly increasing. If you operate an internet company, you can no longer avoid using mobile devices in your digital marketing arsenal. The first step is to make your website mobile-friendly. Many website builders, such as WordPress, provide plugins and automated functions that will accomplish this for you. You may also include a line of code on your website that will format it for the device being utilized. Make sure to test your website on mobile devices to see how visitors see it. Go through the mobile shopping experience yourself so you know exactly what you need to accomplish.
- Too Much Social Media – Because social media is such a big part of the internet these days, it’s hard to have a presence on all of them. Choose two or three of the top sites and begin growing your brand and establishing your social presence. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest are now the most popular social media platforms. The majority of my social traffic comes from Facebook and Pinterest. Google+, Tumblr, and Instagram are the next in line. If you understand your target market, you may join the social networks where they are most likely to engage.
- Information Overload – Because the digital marketing field is so big, it is easy to become lost in it. Many people, including myself, fall into the trap of spending too much time obtaining information from several sources on different facets of developing an internet company. We need to concentrate our focus and study just what we need to know to grow our company effectively. Find a few reliable sources and stay with them to understand the ins and outs.
- Failure to Create a User-Friendly Website – Many of us are tempted to build the largest, brightest, flashiest website imaginable, but this is a huge error. You want your website to be straightforward, easy to use, and user-friendly. Only include what is required to keep your consumers informed. You should include some more material to offer information to your visitors, but make sure it is directly related to what your site is about. Don’t clog up your site with unnecessary adverts, content, or additional steps to get to your call to action. Fancy features and flashy accessories can only confuse your consumer and perhaps drive them away.
- Failing to Keep Up with SEO Changes – SEO is highly important for your website, but the laws and regulations are always changing. Find a reliable source of SEO knowledge and stay up with it regularly to keep up with changes and make any required modifications to your company website.
- Failing to Use Visual Marketing – Using visual marketing may raise your conversion rate by up to 86%. This is an incredible figure. Add a video to your landing page and/or homepage. Incorporate high-quality visuals into your blog entries and content. In your social media marketing, use graphics as much as feasible. Make your own infographics to use on your blog and social media.
- There are free tools available for creating infographics. Incorporate an eye-catching image or graphic into your posts. It might be the difference between having your content read and having it rejected. Examine images in articles. Is the picture engaging and makes you want to read the story, or does it leave you cold? Take notice of the picture kind and the feeling or action it elicits in you.
- A well-made video on your homepage or landing page will also make a significant impact. People will grasp the information much faster than if they read it, and it may be the decisive factor in whether they remain or leave. In the video, be amusing while still conveying your point.
- Your image and voice will also aid in the bonding process with your prospective consumer. You could also get started with meme marketing, a relatively new visual marketing method. This blends entertaining and/or heartwarming visuals with comedy and real-life events.
- Not Testing and Tracking – Use Google’s free tools to analyze your statistics and monitor your visitors. Google Analytics may assist you in optimizing your site’s performance. Ads, websites, article resource boxes, and so on should all be tested. Find out what produces the greatest outcomes and generates the most responses and stay with it.
- Failure to Establish Relationships – Doing business with someone online is quite different from being able to speak with them face to face. People are less likely to trust a website than they are to trust a person, so do all you can to foster that connection of trust and respect. Respond to all email questions promptly and properly. Be dependable; if you say you’ll do something, make sure you do it. Maintain consistency – if you send out a weekly email, don’t ease up and start missing weeks. Regularly update your blog and product information. Do not let your website get outdated. Maintain consistency on social media. Respond to any inquiries and comments as soon as possible. Make it clear to everyone that you are accessible and trustworthy.
- Concentrating Too Much on Traffic and Not Enough on Conversions – While visitors are essential to any online company, you must also concentrate on quality and focused traffic. Getting 1000 visits to your website is useless if they are not interested in what you have to offer. Participate in organizations and forums where individuals who need your services may be found. Join organizations and forums for home business entrepreneurs if you provide B2B goods and services. We all want more traffic, but we need to target visitors to whom we can sell.
- Rushing Headlong Into the Marketing Abyss – Starting an internet company and charging headfirst into the realm of digital marketing is a bad decision. You must prepare ahead of time and study what you are going into. Know who your customers will be and where they will be found. Make certain that you are giving a marketable product or service. Prepare for your foray into the realm of digital marketing.
These errors are prevalent, but they must be rectified. If you want to start an internet company, you must be well-informed and continually adapt and learn. Since the early 1990s, digital marketing has gone a long way, and we must continue to grow and evolve with it. It will be difficult at times, but you can overcome it and develop a great internet company.